What Is HRIS?
Electronic HR Process & Record Management
Two significant outcomes of the global pandemic for business owners are that
- change to business processes is inevitable, as situations evolve. We must remain flexible in the ‘how’ – but not necessarily in the ‘what’
- the definition of how and where work gets completed has been changed forever. A new paradigm of HR processes has arrived.
Consequently, changes demanded by a new way of working in a significantly altered new reality requires businesses to review and rethink how they manage various processes including HR functions and processes – an area that is ready and waiting for automation.
Human Resource is one of the last to take advantage of automated database-driven processes.
This is arguably one of the greatest time saving & risk reduction management tools available for business owners.
Just how well businesses are organised to use digital technologies is a fundamental source of competitive advantage and automating certain HR functions and processes can help to free up huge amounts of time, allowing managers to focus on more important value-adding priorities.
Key benefits of HRIS
Currently, many businesses still coordinate their HR functions and tasks through the use of spreadsheets and other time-consuming, data-heavy and manual processes.
However, in the current environment, the faithful old spreadsheet is no longer the best choice when it comes to workforce management. Spending time and resources managing error-prone spreadsheets and endless administration tasks means less time and resources can be devoted to more essential areas.
Which HR functions and processes can be automated?
- HR administration – using valuable management time on minor tasks such as chasing people to return forms and then processing them adds no value to the process;
- Employment relations – having the ability to produce fast and accurate attendance metrics when dealing with attendance issues assists managers ensure compliance;
- Performance management – an online performance review system has the ability to improve employee productivity and engagement by facilitating continuous feedback. It enables employers to align individual and team goals with organisational strategies and streamlines the employee appraisal process by offering a range of pre-built goals and development objectives;
- Policies and procedures – providing employee online access to these and allowing employers to update and add new ones as needed;
- Remuneration and rewards management – managing the regular pay review processes in a timely and effective way with important information such as job evaluation data at hand;
- Positive employee experience – being able to update their own personal details, seamlessly manage their leave and access information such as pay slips drastically improves the employee experience by having a sense of autonomy and of ownership over their personal information;
Onboarding – consistent online onboarding processes ensures a well organised, faster induction process which can have a positive and lasting impact on new employees;
- Learning and development – ensuring that people are trained, engaged, and productive is critical to business survival therefore having access to digital learning and development programmes are important. This includes training managers in how to lead remote teams, and retraining workers in essential new skills. With the current skills/people shortages, many companies are also looking at ways to upskill non-tech talent with technical skills as a way to fill knowledge gaps and create a more agile workforce.
HRIS Reduces HR Documentation Errors & Improves Compliance
The need to move toward electronic HR management is now greater than ever. Businesses that automate administrative and highly repetitive tasks can free up resources to focus on longer-term “macro” activities such as shaping organisational culture, building the workforce of the future, and addressing the needs of its people—particularly in critical areas such as diversity and inclusion.
Compliance-related concerns become significantly reduced, and along with that, risk of compliance-related grievances.
If you are looking at exploring the possibilities of how an HR system can benefit your business, ConsultingHQ can take you through our Employee Management System which has been designed for growing small and medium businesses. If you are interested in reducing time spent on HR administration and being able to manage your HR tasks more easily, please get in touch with Tanya Gray, ConsultingHQ Director.
Book a complimentary 15 minute consultationnow with our Director, Tanya Gray.